April 16, 2018 — It’s National Volunteer Week and no more fitting time to let you know that TEGNA, Arby’s Foundation and Points of Light announced that the Wenatchee Valley is one of 13 Make A Difference Day National Award winners. This year’s winning projects were selected from nearly 800 projects that took place on Make A Difference
Day, Saturday, Oct. 28, 2017. More than 100,000 volunteers from more than 500 communities in nearly
every state came out for a variety of projects.
Our $10,000 prize will be given to the NCW Community Foundation to be used for future community projects on the 4th Saturday in October. It is the 9th national award that the Wenatchee Valley has received. Two community members – Makenna Schwab and Sarah Strang – were also national winners in 2015 and 2016 so this makes three national awards in the last three years! Wow! That’s 11 awards since 1992 recognizing the incredibly generous and giving people in NCW. We are proud of you and we are proud to live in a community that see needs and does something significant about it! Thank you for being a part of this grassroots, straight from the heart giving each October.
Videos celebrating the MDDAY winners are available on www.MakeADifferenceDay.com and on
www.Facebook.com/HeartThreadsVideos, as well as by following #MDDay.
Thirteen National Award Winners are:
• “Wenatchee Valley Make A Difference Day” in Wenatchee, WA
• “Made for More” in Ashburn, AL
• “#Dare2TuTu” in Truckee, CA
• “Learn, Love, Teach – Florida’s Aspiring Educators Packing Comfort for Their Future Students”
across the state of Florida
• “FreeBikes4Kidz” in Minneapolis, MN
• “Like a Girl Empowerment Bootcamp” in Lincoln, NE
• “Hilton-Parma Make A Difference Day” in Hilton, NY
• “Chipping for Charity” in Ocean Isle Beach, NC
• “Trumbull County Make A Difference Day” in Trumbull County, OH
• “Pittsburgh Champions Make A Difference” in Pittsburgh, PA
• “Mitzvah Day” in Columbia, SC
• “McKinney Make A Difference Day” in McKinney, TX
• “StreamTeam” in Battle Ground, WA